Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Ohhh Purrcy...(part 2)



Let me preface this post by saying that I have never had conjunctivitis and thus do not know why your pets get it when I pet sit.

Dear Mr. P has had quite a dramatic few days. First he gets a new collar and now he has goopy eye.

In this first picture where it looks like he's about to wink at you, he's not, it's the goop. I wiped all of it away because it was pretty gross.

Anyway, by now you know that yesterday I noticed that his eye was leaking and by mid afternoon he could barely open it. I was extra concerned because it was on the same side as his scratched ear.



So, I made an appointment and this morning we went to the vet. Here's the big man in the car. It is safe to say that he does not enjoy car trips nearly as much as Groundy.




And here he is at the vet's office. He really didn't want to get out of his crate. Once out, however, he was a little sweetheart. He stayed really close to me and purred the entire time.

The vet was very nice (as all vets are. Have you noticed this trend?) She dyed his eyeballs to see if there were any scratches and there weren't, which means that he has some kind of bacterial infection, probably from his scuffle. All I have to do is give him eye drops three times a day and cherry flavored (why they make it that particular flavor, I do not know) medicine once a day.

So far he takes it all like a champ. He's not as good as Groundy was, but still not as bad as Lu would be. He can even go outside just like before!

Fun Fact 1: The eyeball dye turned his tongue temporarily yellow.

Fun Fact 2: He weighs almost exactly half as much as Lulu.

Fun Fact 3: When I explained that I had been pet sitting for a long while the vet said that it's not unusual for pets to get weepy eyed when they are under different care...isn't that sweet? I thought so. The reason Purrcy's case was cause for concern is that his "weeping" was just in one eye and it was yellow.

Now if you'll excuse me, I am going to go update my resume to include: "professional eye drop squisher-inner for pets of many kinds."

4 comments:

  1. Oh, poor, poor Purrcy! All the weepings and seepings! I hope the drops and meds are helping quickly and still going okay.

    Daily Schedule for the Mayor of Marye Street:

    5:25 roused by Lu's bottom-of-bowl panic
    5:35 greeted outside Lu's door by G-hog sneezing with delight that the day has started. Go down and eat something.
    5:40 Let Purrcy in. Administer first dose of eyedrops and cherry cordial meds and watch P run for the backdoor as if possessed, ears flat, leaping at the doorknob until let out because you are trying to kill him.
    5:43 Let Purrcy out.
    6:00 Let Purrcy in, all sins forgiven. Depart for morning walk.
    6:05 Decline request of neighbor at 911 that you rebuild their front porch.
    6:40 Put G back into G-proofed house and feed morning supper. Let Purrcy out. Feed Claudia's cats gross wet food and clean up poo on kitchen floor.
    7:10 Let Purrcy in.
    7:20 Let Purrcy out. Check on Lu.
    7:50 Let Purrcy in.
    8:00 Commence morning nap.
    9:30 Second morning. Shower, eat, check email, pet Lu, etc.
    1:00-3:00 Eileen's for coffee and an apple-cheddar-bacon sandwich (yum; don't forget the cranberry selzer drink and orange shortbread) after breaking G's heart by telling her that it is NOT time to go pick up Kirby at school and thus she is not going for a ride in the car. Read trashy book on Kindle.
    3:08 Decline neigbor at 915's request, shouted while you exit your car, that you become their babysitter every afternoon.
    3:15 Give Purrcy eye drops. Watch Purrcy run for back door as if possessed... (repeat above through Let Purrcy out).
    3:40 See Purrcy alseep on back porch table while watching a movie.
    5:30 Let Purrcy in, replenish food G-hog ate while you were at Eileen's. Go to Claudia's, collect mail, feed kitties, clean up puddle of urine on stair landing.
    6:15 On way in, decline request of neighbor at 902 that you take over their lawn care. Let Purrcy out. Go thank Lu for using her litter box.
    6:30 Supper for you and G-hog.
    7:30 Water all plants at 906 while G tries to fill bladder to leaking point by eating the hose. Decline request of unknown neighbor walking by that you become their personal chef.
    8:00 Put G in G-proofed house and water plants at Ali and Jeff's.
    8:45 Let Purrcy in, replenish food G ate while you were at Ali and Jeff's.
    9:00 Let Purrcy out. Give Groundy an evening walk with Purrcy's company. At top of the street, decline neighbor's request that you do daily maintenance on their swimming pool.
    9:20 Lure P inside and administer last dose of eyedrops. Watch P run as if... (you know the drill)
    9:25 Evening movie or TV or book, visit with Lu, let Purrcy in and out 3-4 times until he takes his evening nap on couch. Decline phone request from 914 that you repaint their shutters and let their dog stay with you the rest of the week.
    11:00 Let Purrcy out. Go to bed and snuggle with G

    Repeat daily.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is spot on. Or, it will be. I start watching C's cats this evening (and only take care of the plants across the street for another 3 days.

    I was very concerned that Purrcy would never forgive me for the cherry medicine I tried to give him this morning, but he did!

    Now I am off to whitewash a fence.

    Do the neighbors at the top of the street really have a pool?

    ReplyDelete
  3. p.s. yes, they do have a pool, but no one on the street has ever been in it. The man is very amiable, and staffs all of the republican tables at elections, so we see him there when we are at the other table with our neighbor Scott, who has the car that says Two Dems and the house with lion statues in the yard. But the woman is awful-- she has threatened to call the police on Groundy for being off her leash because G jumped on her once, and she is a terrible racist who is always nervous that a non-white person will buy a house near her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have since here "CANON BALL!" every time I walk G past their house.

    Sucks that they are racist republicans, that's the worst kind! There are several members of mom's family that are like that and I always want to mess with them.

    ReplyDelete