Wednesday, June 1, 2011

A Ghost Story


Allow me to take a moment to tell you that the ghost struck again last night.

I woke up at 2 am to a kind of loud bump downstairs. I looked all around but nothing seemed off and so I went back to sleep.

This morning after Miss G and I went for our walk, I am feeding her and thinking, "gee the kitchen smells weird."

I take one step into the pantry and my foot lands in a puddle. At this point I am thinking, "crap! The fridge is leaking." (Can fridges leak? It seems like something they could do...)

I am wiping up the mess and find that the newly dry floor is really sticky and so I wash it off with some water and multi-surface cleaner and I keep checking the fridge and freezer whose contents are all appropriately cold and/or frozen (depending) and it is humming away like a working appliance should.

At this point, I feel something gently bump my toe. I look down and to my utter horror/relief there is a cork. (by look down, I actually mean jump back and scream a little)

I look up and there is an uncorked bottle on your wine rack. However, I am still thinking that maybe it's a sentimental bottle that you all kept for sentimental purposes, but I can't know for sure. So, I climb up the step ladder and, like a moron, I grab the open bottle and pull it to me so that the remainder of it's contents (maybe a third of the bottle) fall right on my face. Mmmm nothing like a good ole' wine bath in the morning!

Thus, I am sorry to inform you that you no longer have a bottle of Proseco, as the ghost decided that it really belonged on the pantry floor.

Now, I am open to the possibility that there is a scientific reason for this situation (heat?), and if you think there is one, should I move the rest of your bottles of wine to the cooler basement? I would hate for this to keep happening and wipe out your wine rack.

In any event, I am going to keep the cork to show you because frankly, there is nothing creepier than a bottle-less cork without a hole in it...who knew?

Love,
A

2 comments:

  1. Well.... let's just say that no wine has ever burst before in the heat and we've always kept it there. You are welcome to move anything you want, especially if it helps you believe that there is a scientific explanation. But personally I would say BooHoo the ghost has said hello in a celebratory kind of way. K and J think he was trying to drink a toast and forgot the wine would go right through him. I hope you aren't totally freaking. Trust that P and G are not afraid and animals are supposed to have excellent sensors for these things...?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dad thought it had something to do with the fact that Proseco is carbonated and the corks are often not covered with foil, like most flat wines. But maybe he was just trying to make me feel better.

    I'm not freaking out, largely because the animals are so calm. I will leave the wine where it is for now, but if it happens again I will move it. I don't want you to think I am drinking all of your wine and blaming it on BooHoo :)

    ReplyDelete